The Iris Power MCPDTracII system is an effective and economical means of providing automated, continuous partial discharge (PD measurement for switchgear and isolated phase bus (IPB)applications. The Iris Power MCPDTracII system consists of multiple sets of permanently installed capacitive couplers connected at intervals to the main bus-bars, an Iris Power MCPDTracII monitor, plus digital communication. Alternatively, the MCPDTracII can be operated “stand alone” for periodic downloading of stored PD data. Continuous monitoring is recommended for switchgear and IPB because PD in this equipment can be signiﬁcantly inﬂuenced by ambient humidity, and so more frequent measurements along with logging of relative humidity will more reliably reveal any variation in activity levels due to insulation aging. Using the networking features of the Iris Power MCPDTracII and implementing remote data collection, any unexpected arc ﬂash hazard and personal injury can be avoided.The Iris Power MCPDTracII system is equipped with data exchange capability to interface with modern plant automation systems.
• Data collected by the Iris Power MCPDTracII monitor is compatible with the existing TGA/PDA technology. Userswith existing sensor installations can commission the system without an equipment outage. Data is easily conﬁrmed and further analyzed with the Iris Power TGA-B™ or Iris Power PDA-IV™ portable instruments.
• The MCPDTracII monitors coupler sets at intervals on an IPB or bus.
• The Iris Power MCPDTracII monitor performs continuous PD measurements with advanced alert features, allowing minimal intervention by maintenance personnel. In response to an alert indication, users can review the pulse height analysis plots, and the 24-window phase resolved PD plots using basic interpretation skills to conﬁrm the cause of the alert.
• Alert Output is a dedicated relay ﬁtted within the monitor. The relay has a solid state latching contact that canactivate a remote indicator, which must be reset by the user. The alert threshold conditions are conﬁgurable through the operating software. The alert output may also be connectedto a plant monitoring system.
• The Iris Power MCPDTracII monitor is equipped with ambient sensor input modulesto enhance data gathering for trending and analysis. Available inputs include ambient temperature and ambient humidity, as they may impact PD readings.