The only alternative to the Iris Power EL CID Evolution test is the Ring Flux (full ﬂux) test. The Ring Flux test requires large power supplies, considerable manpower, and expensive infrared viewing cameras. The EL CID test has the following advantages compared to the Ring Flux test:
• EL CID test provides rapid testing of the machine, often less than one work shift for turbogenerators and motors. The Ring Flux test typically takes 3 work shifts.
• Only one technician is needed to perform the test.
• Typical labor is reduced from 144 to 360 man-hours for a major turbogenerator Ring Flux test* to just 8 to 10 manhours for EL CID test.
• Rapid setup to retest after any repair ensures quick turnaround.
• Minimize intrusive repairs by instantly verifying the results.
• Safe for core and operator, unlike Ring Flux test which is potentially damaging to the uncooled core.
• Faster test scanning (up to 120 mm/sec at 60 Hz)
• Easier excitation calculations
• Simpler testing with dual Chattocks (detection coils)
• User-friendly LCD display to guide user operation
• Can combine step-iron data with main core traces
• Easily identiﬁes “hot spots” via color map display
• Fully compatible with data from earlier versions